Broadcaster Magazine

CRTC Approves Mandarin Children’s Cat B Channel

Ethnic Channels Group Limited filed an application for a broadcasting licence to operate Mandarin Children’s TV, a national niche third-language ethnic specialty Category B service that would offer programming directed to Mandarin-speaking children and youth from preschool age up to age 17. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.   ECGL is controlled by Slava Levin.

ECGL proposed to broadcast no less than 90% of its programming in the Mandarin language. ECGL further requested that it be authorized to devote up to 6 of the 12 minutes of advertising material permitted during each clock hour to local and regional advertising.[1]

The Commission is satisfied that the application complies with all applicable policies, terms and conditions.   Furthermore, given that the service will offer no less than 90% of its programming during the broadcast week in the Mandarin language, the Commission is satisfied that the service falls under the definition of a third-language service set out in the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations.

The Commission notes that Mandarin Children’s TV will devote at least 90% of its program schedule to programming in the Mandarin language.  The remainder of the program schedule (up to 10%) may be in one or both official languages. The Commission encourages the applicant to ensure that all such programming serves to promote Canada’s linguistic duality.