Women In Film and Television - Toronto is pleased to announce that top Canadian production companies have been selected to participate in the 2005 TELEFILM CANADA Media Entrepreneur Incubator. Nine television production companies will converge in Toronto at leading entertainment law firm, Heenan Blaikie LLP, for three intensive days of workshops, case studies, and one-on-one consultations with industry leaders and innovators in Toronto on May 25, 26, and 27. Each company will also be paired with experts who will offer ongoing advice and assistance during the six-month mentorship stage of the program.
"The growth of the Canadian film and television industry is in part dependent on the skill and calibre of the professionals within our industry," says David Steinberg, Partner in the Entertainment Law Group at Heenan Blaikie. "We recognise that our talent pool must also be able to develop business savvy and knowledge in order to remain competitive and self-sustaining in the current market. We are very proud to collaborate with WIFT-T on this 'one-of-a-kind' program. As entertainment lawyers and industry educators, we are happy to have been given the chance to contribute to the development of our industry in Canada."
Participants include Saskatchewan-based Vérité Films, producers of the smash hit comedy Corner Gas. "We're thrilled that Vérité Films has been selected for this program," says Virginia Thompson, producer and co-founder. "We are a small company that is so singularly focused on our projects that we rarely have a chance to discuss the 'big picture' of running a company. This program allows us to share our business strategy and get much needed advice from industry leaders—not only for three intense days, but for an additional six months of mentorship. It's fantastic!"
The following companies have been selected to participate in this breakthrough program:
• Back Alley Film Productions Ltd., a Toronto-based company known internationally for their cutting edge dramatic television series and human-interest documentaries. Dramatic series include Bliss, Drop the Beat and the critically acclaimed Straight Up. Back Alley documentaries include the award-winning feature, Talk 16, its highly praised sequel, Talk 19, and Lawn & Order.
• Bardel Entertainment Inc., a Vancouver-based entertainment company with numerous productions to their credit, including the award-winning animated series Silverwing, The Christmas Orange, and 72-minute movie Dragons - Fire & Ice, which premiered in Canada and the US in 2004.
• Creative Atlantic Communications Ltd., a Halifax-based company whose broadcast credits include series Liocracy, starring Leslie Nielsen, the award-winning Eb and Flo, The Singular Series, and the one-hour documentary As We Appear: The Story of Erica Rutherford.
• High Definition Pictures, a production company from Manitoba, with numerous broadcast credits including the award-winning Cowboys & Indians: The Killing of J. J. Harper, Spirit of the Stolen Sisters (Moon Lake Murders), Takin' Care of Business: The Life & Times of Randy Bachman, and the upcoming full-length feature, The Splendid Life of Jesse Dixon.
• Les Productions Rivard, a leading, Manitoba-based, bilingual independent film, television and multimedia production company, whose recent credits include Paul et Suzanne, Canada ŕ la Carte, and the weekly TVA network newsmagazine entitled VIA-TVA.
• Ocean Entertainment Ltd., a Halifax-based production company with numerous broadcast credits, including Nightmare in Canada: Canadian Horror on Film, Chef at Large, Chef at Home, The Food Hunter, The Shag Harbour UFO Incident, Childhood Lost: The Story of Canada's Home Children, Reinventing Ritual and Minyan on the Mira.
• Paperny Films, a Vancouver-based company whose production credits include Titans for Global Television, New Classics with Chef Rob Feenie, Kink for Showcase Television, and constructed reality series Crash Test Mommy and My Fabulous Gay Wedding.
• Screen Siren Pictures Inc., a Vancouver-based company whose broadcast credits include Drawing out the Demons: A Film about the Artist Attila Richard Lukacs, Ice Girls, Britannia - A Company Town, and feature film Flower & Garnet.
• Vérité Films, from Regina, Saskatchewan, whose productions over the past two years have garnered eight Gemini Award nominations and an International Emmy® Award nomination. Its recent successes include the breakaway hit CTV series Corner Gas, Incredible Story Studio, and renegadepress.com.